Subs

Monday, April 1, 2013

English Challenge 9: Example Sentences


From the movie, A Beautiful Mind, the mathematician is looking at a formula on the chalkboard. Look at the formula...the equations...


These equations are ...

1. anything but simple.  (not at all)

It was anything but easy.
My son is anything but an angel!
My holiday was nothing but relaxing!
I’m anything but rich!
CNN is anything but non-biased.

2. nothing but simple. (completely)

It was nothing but terrible.
It was nothing but a regular day.
She told me nothing but lies.
My new home is in nothing but nature!
It was nothing but a pleasure teaching you English^^

3. all but simple.    (almost/basically/essentially)

This math problem is all but impossible.
My project is all but finished
Our team is all but eliminated.
The building was all but deserted.
The milk carton is all but empty.

4. everything but simple. (not at all)

The movie was everything but funny.
The shopping mall was everything but empty.
Love is everything but eternal!
I’m everything but handsome!
This hamburger is everything but healthy!



No comments: