Subs

Friday, March 30, 2012

Five Great English expressions you should know^^


I can’t get enough ~
If you can’t get enough of something, it means that you want more and more and MORE! There could NEVER be too much! You love it~

I can’t get enough of her loving~
I can’t get enough chocolate~

I could never get enough money~~
I could never eat enough chicken~
I could never do enough shopping~~

Please give us some examples of your own^^

To turn A in…to tell on A
Both of these expressions are very similar. They both me to INFORM someone in authority (power) like your mom or the police that A has done something wrong.  The difference is basically to whom are you informing. If we “turn A in”…it almost always means “to the police”. And, “to tell on A” almost always means you are telling your mom or the teacher^^ So, for a serious crime, you should inform the police—you should turn the bad person in. If your little sister lies or steals your pencil, you don’t need to turn her in, but it’s fun to tell on her^^

When was the last time you “told on someone”? Have you ever turned anyone in?

Lost his temper
Shane lost his temper. Shane got mad/pissed. Shane flew off the handle. He blew a gasket. He lost his cool. He blew his top! He went ape! He went ballistic~ He hit the roof/ceiling. He went out of his gourd! He flipped out.

They’re all the same. Do you have many expressions like this in your language? What sorts of things make you lose your temper?

Bad drivers make me lose my temper.
My boss makes me lose my temper.
Too much nagging makes me lose my temper.
Loud kids make me lose my temper^^



When you lose your temper, how do you calm yourself down?

Pathetic…pitiful…poor
In many dictionaries, these words have the same meaning, but in daily American English, we use them differently.

When we say “pathetic”, we mean “despicable” or “vile” or “sordid”. It’s a VERY negative word. When we say “pitiful”, we usually mean “dismal”, “inadequate” or “wretched”. If something is pitiful, its condition is very bad. Finally, when we say “poor” we usually mean “lacking”, “needy” or “very unfortunate”. Something that is poor deserves our compassion.

Test time: Which word is best?
An injured puppy…
The people living near Fukishima that refuse to leave…
Children wanting to have plastic surgery…

Are we still on?
This short, simple expression means “Are we still going to meet?” We use this expression to CONFIRM that a promise/plan that we made with you has NOT changed.

We’re still on for Friday night, right? You haven’t changed your mind.
Are we still on Friday? Nothing came up?
Are we still on for next week? Has there been a change in plans?

Remember, because of the word “still”, this expression is used to confirm an already established plan!


No comments: